Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Whole 30 - Day 2

Not going to lie, I wanted pizza today. I think it was because Jonas & Alexis ate quesadilla's for lunch and I wanted cheese! I'm ok with dairy free. I'm ok with no ice cream, but I love cheese. No stress though, I didn't cheat. I stuck to my plan.

I read that the first week is hard because you go through withdrawals from all the cravings you have, etc. I craved pizza just a little bit, and after they were done, it was gone. So not too intense of cravings yet. We also didn't eat dessert every night, or buy cookies, cakes, things like that or bake goodies a lot, etc. So i'm hoping I won't have too intense of cravings. We did, however, eat pizza once a week and Clint would buy candy about once a week. But half the time I wouldn't eat the candy because I don't care too much about candy.

So for breakfast:

 I made an omelet with eggs. It has the spinach, peppers and onions in it. Pretty much the same as yesterday, only omelet style. I decided I'm sick of eating eggs. Well, not so much the eggs, but the spinach and peppers cooked in the egg. So tomorrow, I'm going to do something different for my veggies. I like eggs though. They also say to think of breakfast as meal 1, so that way you don't have to eat eggs every time. But I think eating leftovers for dinner, or soup or salad for breakfast is weird, so I'll just stick with eggs for now. Different variations on that.


My lunch was the same as yesterday, salad with the citrus chicken that was leftover from dinner.


Dinner today:
This is Asian broccoli and beef. It was so tasty! It has beef (I used ground turkey) with peppers, carrots and broccoli. I made a TON of veggies to go in it. Only downside is the kids didn't like it. So I need to alter my recipes so they aren't so adult-taste oriented. And I didn't realize I had oranges twice today. Oops. I did buy other fruit, grapefruit, pineapple & apples. But the pineapple isn't ripe yet, and I didn't want to get out grapefruit because Jonas & Alexis love grapefruit and they ate some for lunch today. I didn't want them to have it again. Whatever. It was a good dinner.

I got kind of discouraged today because I didn't realize how many vegetables it requires to do this whole30. Now I know why we have carbs with our meals because they are cheap and they fill you up. But they cause other problems as well (according to whole30, which makes total sense if you read the book). I was discouraged because this food is costing us WAY more than I was thinking it would. I mean, I altered our budget so we have more money to buy healthier food, but if I keep cooking the way I am, it's going to be even more. So Clint and I came up with a plan of attack for next week's meals to make them a little cheaper, easier, and still keep the whole30 rules for these 30 days. But to be honest, we need grains for our dinners. Especially feeding a family of 4 with kids involved. But for now, we'll try this new plan next week (I already have everything I need for this week's meals), and hopefully it will be less expensive and easier. I'll probably start cooking toast for dinners so the kids have a grain to eat. Alexis doesn't eat meat. She doesn't like it. She does like fruit, and peas (the only vegetable she will really eat). So I need grains and cheese/dairy to keep her full and get some protein in. 

3 comments:

  1. Your meals look so delicious! I need to come eat at your house! Produce is expensive so good luck juggling your budget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we are on South Beach diet, we make the kids some bread or rice to go on the side of their meals. it makes it harder for us to stay on the diet but it helps to fill up our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting! Love the meal posts. I hate eggs so this would be hard for me! I need to eat better though!

    ReplyDelete