Monday, February 9, 2015

Whole 30 - Day 7

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs over lettuce with salsa on top. Really good! I didn't take a pic though.

Lunch: Lettuce chicken wraps with an apple

Dinner: Sweet potato chili - absolutely amazing!


This chili is full of nutrients, plus I added in carrots and celery. The recipe doesn't have those in there. It has a TON of veggies - peppers, onions, tomatoes, carrots, celery, sweet potatoes. And no beans. :) I love chili, but normal chili does really bad things to me and makes my stomach hurt. This chili does not do that. It is so good! The recipe for this can be found here.

I think I have officially decided what I want to do after this week is over regarding whole30 and the finances of it. I like having more vegetables in my diet, and I like having a protein with veggies because I feel like the protein makes my feel full until my next meal.

I will continue eating protein and veggies for every meal. HOWEVER, I will not "fill up my plate" with veggies like they recommend, because it's too expensive. The fact that I'll have veggies with every meal is way more than I ever used to eat. And I will not eat as much meat as they say I should have. I'll most likely still have 3 eggs for breakfast. Eggs aren't that expensive. But when I am done eating my meal, if I still feel hungry I will eat a small portion of carbs, like toast or rice. But have 1 serving of it. Only 1 piece of toast, or 1/2 c rice, or something along those lines. They say if you're still hungry you need to eat more protein at your meals, but we can't afford to eat more protein so I'll slip a little whole wheat carb in there.  And everything else eliminated by whole30, like dairy, legumes (however I'm going to start eating peanut butter), sugar (I will have honey occasionally), I won't eat. But I will start buying mayo again. Making your own is actually more expensive than buying it. It might be more healthy to make your own, but it's also more expensive because the olive oil in it is the same price as buying a jar of mayo, and it makes less than a store bought jar.  I'm looking into making a different dressing instead of ranch for my salads.

Also, I've really liked planning my meals and shopping for each week as opposed to the two weeks what I used to do. So I decided I'll spend $60 each week. 15 for veggies, 10 for fruit, 20 for meat, and then 15 on filler things like bread, stuff for the kids, coconut milk, etc. I'm hoping that will help. That should be doable for just a week. We'll see. Plus I'm not buying ramen noodles or packaged foods anymore, so that should free up a little room.  I'll let you know how this plan goes. It's still mostly following the whole30 guidelines.

Oh, and no snacking in between meals, unless it's fruit or something healthy, and no eating after dinner is over.

2 comments:

  1. You are so amazing Steph! Your determination is off the charts. Keep it up and you will achieve your goals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing great! All your ideas will work so keep with it!! Are you still going to make a whole30 dinner for our FHE this coming Sunday? I sure hope so. What can we bring to help?

    ReplyDelete